Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Learning

Learning is always good and yesterday I learned a little more about my family background. My dad's grandmother was a Shiflet before she married. I had asked my dad about them and he really didn't know a lot. We know she donated some land to Oklahoma State University and her marriage was the last one in the old Student Union. A picture of her marriage is in the museum at the old Student Union. His dad only ever told him they were from Texas. Well that really doesn't help. So I finally thought, hey we live in the Age of Information surely I can find out something from her last name. We weren't even sure what nationality it was.

As it turns out, I was able to find something. Shiflet (shif-let) is an Americanized version of the name Chifflet (shif-lay). So neat I have some French heritage. That means my ancestry is a real war, English, Irish, Scottish, and French. Here is one of the sites I found that has some interesting stuff on the Chifflets.

No comments: