Thursday, May 7, 2009

Revisionist History

I posted this here, but I thought it deserved a blog post too.

I wrote my congressman over the "American Religious History Week" law that has been put forth. I wrote him awhile back. Well I just got a response today. Here is the response I got, mind you I did not vote for this wingnut:

"Dear Justin:

Thank you for contacting me to express your view on the creation of "American Religious History Week." I always value hearing from my fellow Oklahomans and I appreciate the opportunity to respond on this important issue.

Our founders built firmly the foundation of this great nation upon the Judeo-Christian values many Americans continue to cherish today. The deep feeling of appreciation for our heritage, which is shared by all Americans, continues to be a source of unity and strength for this nation. The creation of "American Religious History Week" would provide the opportunity for all Americans to engage in reflection upon the significant role religious values have served in shaping this nation's remarkable success and prosperity. Rest assured that I will keep your views in mind should H. Res. 888 come before the floor of the House of Representatives for a vote.

Again, thank you for contacting me with your thoughts on this important issue. If I can ever be of assistance on this or any other matter, please don't hesitate to contact my office.

Respectfully Yours,

Dan Boren
Member of Congress
"

Basically I will consider what you say, but you are wrong and we are a Judeo-Christian country.

This is my response:

Sir, you are wrong. Our country was founded on secular ideas and the common laws of England. You can easily look this up. The Treaty of Tripoli, which was read in its entirety and voted unanimously by Congress and signed by then President John Adams and was also in every major newspaper of the time, states in Article 11, "As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."

Clearly the country was not founded upon Judeo-Christian concepts. I can also go into the writings of Thomas Jefferson and Thomas Paine if you insist upon this revisionist history of the founding of our nation. Church and State Separation are there to protect religion, breaching the "wall", as Jefferson called it, is dangerous and it also can lead to a tyranny of the majority, which was a concern of the founding fathers. Consider this, the fastest growing religion in America is Mormonism and the fastest growing religion in the world is Islam (it is close between Islam and Christianity depending which survey you read). By breaching the wall, you give them the opportunity to make their own rules if they ever reach a majority in the U.S. The idea is to protect all people from tyranny no matter what its incarnation is.


I am tired of all this revisionist crap, trying to make deists look like fundavangelicals. It is retarded.

It is not even like this hard to find out even. A simple search will tell you everything you want to know about the founding fathers. This is what appalls me the most. The fact that it is easy to look up and the fact no one fucking looks it up. They just take their preacher or politicians word for it. For fucks sake people read the goddamn Constitution it is clear. People are being used because of a lack of knowledge and it is like they don't even care.

I lump this historical revision in the same category as young earth creationism. People preying on the lack of knowledge of other people.

No comments: