Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Raping and Murdering

This is from Ray Comfort's Blog:

"Starbuck wrote: Now Let me ask you or any athiest why they insist on spreading their beliefs? I have asked a few and the response is that people need to know the truth. And they are there to show them.

Now why on earth would you want to go and do that? Because of this percieved Chistian Religion evils that have been perpetuated upon mankind?

Or did you in your own intelligence come to the conclusion that you are better and smarter then God? I suppose so, seeing you don't believe in him.

Why would you want to take away my hope? So many people need that. Hope. Why do you want to steal and destroy that for them?

I am assuming you are a decent person? Of course you are. Well, before I turned to Jesus, I was NOT a decent person. I lied, I drank and did drugs. I was violent. But I had no direction. I was angry, fearful and mean. I hated blacks, I hated gays, I hated mexicans, I hated chinese. I hated pretty much everyone. I hated my parents, I hated my siblings. I hated school and then I hated work. I hated the police. I hated doctors. Did I mention I was violent? I loved guns. I loved knives and swords and other weapons. For some unknown reason, I never hated God and I always knew he existed but sometimes had doubts. Evolution to me was just silliness. Even when I had turned my back on God.

I was headed for a confontation..
with someone or something.

Before you say I need to get my head examined, they did. They put a label on me.. paranoid schizophrenic. Thought disorder. They measured my IQ at 210. Although It would be nowhere near that. I have no idea why it was so high. But at the time I prided myself at how clever and smart I was.

I wanted to kill. Kill on a large scale. The doctors gave me medicine that toned it down a bit, but it made me feel sick all the time. Which made me angry.

But then a person very special to me talked me to about God and how he could help. Well I reached out and God grabbed me so hard, I could feel he was around. perhaps just my imagination. But when I accepted him as my Lord and Savior, I remember I had felt so tainted before. And everything started to wash away. And I had HOPE. Finially, hope!

And you athiests want to take that away?

Don't you think Churches are filled with idiots like myself? REALLY bad people who turned to God? What would happen if you took it away?

Those people would revert BACK to what they were before.. well a lot of them would. Only now I know I would have a target. The people who took away my hope. I would hate them beyond words. I would kill them on sight. I would hate athiests with all my passion I could muster.

I know I would do that. Because I would have no hope.

I know you cannot understand why a person would do such a thing. but that is because you are decent. Without God, I am not a decent person. I am worse then Jeffery Dahmer.


But with God, I am a ok father, and an ok husband... my wife says I am a great husband.. but I digress. My kids do talk to me. And I don't hate anyone. Plus I am a great technician... pays the bills and keeps me fed.


Now, let me ask you one more time athiests.. Why do you want to take that away?"

The emphasis was added later by someone else. The claim is that without god this person would be out raping and murdering. Obviously, this particular person has mental issues and he admits that, but the claim of raping and murdering is not uncommon to most Fundamentalists and other Christians. I find this claim comes after the theist is backed into a corner where they have to admit that either A) their morals do not come from god or B) without god they would be out raping and murdering. For some reason instead of making the sane rational choice, they opt for B.

Even with the more extreme circumstances, like that which I quoted, I do not believe these people would rape and kill if it was proven there was no god. If one is so inclined to violence then that person can justify violence through the Bible and teachings of Christianity. For example the murder of Dr. George Tiller recently by Scott Roeder. Scott justified his murder as earthly judgment by god.

The fact is it is not god keeping these people from murdering. No, it is the same thing that keeps us all from murdering each other. The golden or platinum rule. The rule that developed through the process of evolution. Humans are social animals. Our ancestors had to work together to survive. In turn that working together required some form of trust between everyone in the group. Those who are inclined to kill and rape, would not be trusted. For the sake of the rest of the group they would be thrown out to survive on their own or killed. This is a simplified version of how morals evolved but one can get the general idea.

This is why I don't believe the people that say they would murder, steal, and rape if it was proven there was no god. Sure they wouldn't have some super natural power to answer too, but they would have their own genetics and the people in their community to answer too. Also anyone should be able to understand, it is better that they don't do these things because they don't want these things done to them. Where we arrive back at the Golden Rule.

2 comments:

ExPatMatt said...

Yeah, it seams somewhat statistically unlikely that so many sociopaths would become saved Christians, doesn't it.

I think there's an element of getting one over on your fellow believers too - 'you stole a car?! Well I used to run drugs.'

'You ran drugs? I used to inject heroin into fetuses while raping the pregnant mother!' And so on...

They know now that they were supposed to have been reprobate, wicked evil-doers before they were born again and so they fulfill that requirement after the fact.

But, just in case, lets not try to de-convert any of the crazy ones...

BeamStalk said...

I was thinking about this and it is really destructive for a kid to hear these messages of one upmanship, especially if they grew up in the church.

I remember as a kid hearing these stories and thinking well I can never have a good story unless I let myself fall to the bottom of the barrel and climb out. So part of me wanted to sink to depravities to make a good conversion story. I was a really honest kid, then and never thought to lie.